5 Best VPNs for Linux
Many People nowadays have started using Linux operating systems. If youâ€™re reading this article Iâ€™m pretty sure you are aware of the difficulties in operating a Linux system, so where there are difficulties not all software support it. However even though it isnâ€™t a user friendly system, it will be a ride you wonâ€™t feel bored at.
Linux is well known in the cyber world for its safety protocols so itâ€™s a surety that it has VPN compatibility. Due to the high configurations involved in the Linux system it isnâ€™t a piece of cake for all VPN providers to provide compatibility. So you should be grateful for the VPN providers who offer support for Linux operating systems. These are few of the top ranked VPN providers that support Linux operating system:
5 Best VPNs for Linux 2016
Qualities That Makes a VPN Usable
VPNsÂ can be considered good by a wide server spread enabling Linux user to have a good freedom of choice. Another important aspect that has to be maintained is the 24 hour support staff availability. For a system like Linux problems can arise commonly in time for that the VPN provider has to have an active support staff.
One thing very user wants is that the server connectivity has a good consistency and stays connected. A user wants that when he switches on his/her Linux system and connects a VPN and afterwards it disconnects when he/she switches the systems off themselves. The rest is your VPN providerâ€™s responsibility.
You shouldnâ€™t be much concerned over Linux systems as you can find this topic being discussed all over the internet, what you should look for on our site is VPNs for your Linux.
No Linux-client Software Offered
As you are aware Linux operating systems are not very commonly used in the modern world as much as other systems like Windows,Â Mac, IOS andÂ AndroidÂ devices, therefore VPN providers havenâ€™t taken their time or effort to create specific VPN software for the Linux system.
The few above mentionedÂ VPN providersÂ offer special cross-platform compatibility so that a VPN can be used on you Linux system.
As you know by now that there is no install and go type of VPN software for your Linux device, so you have to download a VPN setup from the VPN provider and manually setup your VPN to support the Linux. The good news is that it is easier to setup the VPN compared to the other 4 platforms mentioned previously.
How to Setup VPN PPTP on Linux
It is a very easy process if you are a frequent user of Linux operating system:
- Download the VPN arrangement documents from your VPN service provider and concentrate it to the way determined by your VPN service provider. This way may shift taking into account your VPN administration supplierâ€™s setup.
- To setup PPTP VPN on your Linux, begin by opening out your console/terminal and entering in â€˜sudo su-â€˜.
- â€˜Sudoâ€™ is the summon intended to convey you to your Linux consoleâ€™s root surroundings and logs you into it, so the â€œsuâ€ order will help you sign into it. Try not to be shocked if the product approaches you for your client secret key when you enter in this charge. On the off chance that enticed for a watchword, donâ€™t mix up it for your root secret key.
- You may need to make certain alters now in view of the login accreditations given to you by your VPN supplier.
- Once you have finished the editing, utilize the â€˜VPN serverâ€™ order to initiate the VPN. When you are done utilizing the VPN, the â€œdisconnectâ€ button will permit you to deactivate yourÂ VPN tunnel.
How to Setup OpenVPN for Linux
Even though PPTP is an easier setup we all know that it isnâ€™t considered the safest protocol compared to OpenVPN. I have surveyed the top VPN providers and have come to the conclusion that the most common protocol offered for Linux operating system to users is OpenVPN. It is a bit difficult to setup compared to PPTP protocols. To setup you have to:
- Begin by downloading setup documents from yourÂ VPN service supplier.
- Open out the Linux â€˜System Managerâ€™ and access the â€˜System Connectionsâ€™ settings. Various tabs ought to be unmistakable now. Click on the tab that says â€œVPNâ€ and snap â€˜Importâ€™. Try not to snap â€˜Includeâ€™.
- Now, pick the VPN server record from the downloaded design documents (your VPN administration supplier ought to have the capacity to let you know which one that is).
- You will wind up taking a gander at an arrangement of design fields to alter your new VPN association.
- Your VPN administration supplier will give you the data you need to enter in the fields now. This incorporates the arrangement you will need to enter in the â€œPropelledâ€ settings once you are finished with the essential designs.
- â€œApplyâ€ the settings and associate through the â€˜System Managerâ€™.
Linux will still take a few years to become a commonly used operating system like the other platforms. Linux is a bit difficult to operate that is why people avoid using it. However this drawback can turn in favor of Linux because due to the low popularity of Linux it is improving slowly and properly. But the major problem of Linux systems is that due its low media attention hackers and other cyber goons have started using it for unlawful causes and criminal activities.
By looking at the growing demand for VPNs in the cyber world I am predicting that VPN providers have started work on creating softwareâ€™s for Linux and in a few years it will be brought out in to the market. Until then Linux users will have to continue using manual configuration methods.